Monday, October 22, 2007

Upcountry ( Mirage) !

Dan said," wake me up early to see the stars. . ." So I happened to wake up at 5:08, and we dressed quickly, groping again to the upper lanai, and beheld: Glorious stars.
Dan's eyes are much better and he saw four shooting stars, in no time at all. I am happy with bright stars.
We returned to bed to doze before our exciting trip to Upcountry; that's where Oprah lives. It's a jaunt across the island to the North and then East again. We climbed from sea level to 10,000 feet quickly, heading straight for the crater of Haleakala. We are both afraid of heitghs as it turns out. I knew we were high because my ears occluded and my optic nerves felt pressure. Dan paused enough to catch his breath and held onto rocks (vertigo)as each igneous rock formation attained, in turn revealed the next foothold. Alas, we never turned back. What a surreal lunar landscape,


remember we're severely oxygen deprived. As you see. . . Matsyandrasana or is it Savasana?

Did I mention I tried to call my Dad and Margaret?
I settled on sending them a photo of the crater, "High!"
We also called GDB to inquire about Mirage. "She's happy and healthy," reported Julianne.
Off to lunch at the Kula Lodge, where a fresh protea adorned each table. Dan had ribs in a mango BBQ sauce and I ordered the caprese salad with a pinot grigio. "Yummers" as Rachel Ray would say. (No sign of Oprah here.)

It was a really big day. After lunch we traveled to the end of the road, a serene and pastoral setting for Tedeshi Vineyards. We sipped four, buying two. A Maui Blanc made from pineapple and Ulu'palaku'a Red with a great label to accent tonight's pasta bowl.
Then we missed the Lavender Farm and lavender sherbet, but easily found the Surfing Goat Dairy. A very dirty pig wandered by as we parked the Chevy HHR. A sign, stated clearly that this spot was "For Saudis Only." It was nuts. We studied the menu, and decided on the Lilikoi Quark and Ole var~i~a~tions.( We passed on the wines.)



Ninety one at 5 pm here in Kihei. We enjoy a late dinner on the lanai and ponder tomorrow's adventure. Today left us exhausted. Maybe a beach for Tuesday.

No comments: